Effective December 22, 2020, Albertans can access massage therapy services with a physician’s prescription or a referral from a regulated health professional* like a chiropractor or physiotherapist.
If you don’t have a prescription or referral for massage, it’s easy:
- Call your doctor’s office or another regulated health care professional, like a Chiropractor, Pharmacist, Physiotherapist (full list here).
- Ask for a written referral or prescription for therapeutic massage. An office visit should not be necessary – my clients report a single phone call is all they needed to do.
- Bring the written referral/prescription with you to your massage appointment. I need to include it in your file in order to provide massage therapy services.
Further details are below.
This is just a temporary requirement as part of the Province’s plan to reduce COVID-19 cases.
I’m so glad my clients once again have the opportunity to receive therapeutic massage services to maintain their health.
All clients must have either a written prescription from a Medical Doctor, or a written referral from a regulated health professional (https://www.alberta.ca/regulated-health-professions.aspx)
- An existing written prescription is only valid if issued within the last 12 months.
- An existing written referral is only valid if issued within the last 12 months.
- A copy of the original written prescription or written referral is acceptable.
- The written prescription or written referral must be provided prior to receiving treatment.
- A copy of the written prescription or written referral must be kept in the client’s file.
If you don’t currently have a prescription or referral, it should be a simple matter of phoning your doctor or other regulated health care professional to obtain yours. You’ll need to bring it with you so it can be included in your file.
I’m happy to keep your appointment while you get the prescription/referral from one of these health professionals. Please bring a written copy of the prescription or referral to your appointment so I’m able to provide massage services.
If you are unable to obtain a prescription or referral, please let me know at least 24 hours before your appointment.
*Regulated health professionals include:
- Occupational Therapists
- And Others
Here is the list of all regulated health professionals in Alberta: Regulated Health Professionals